Product Brand and Name, Price (CDN), Where Purchased
Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Tinted Lip Balm in Hibiscus and Honeysuckle, $7.99 CDN @ Wal-mart
Reason for Purchase
I like the original and honey formulas of Burt’s Bees lip balm, so I thought I would give the tinted balm a try.
Notable Features
Here is what Burt’s Bees has to say about these lip balms:
Care for your lips with beautiful, sheer color. Our new tinted balms give you a hint of color with a soft, sweet flavor and natural ingredients that moisturize and condition your lips. Available in six flirty shades – Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, Tiger Lily, Pink Blossom, Red Dahlia and Rose.
The ingredient that Burt’s is featuring in these tinted balms is Shea Butter; here’s what they have to say about that:
This natural fat obtained from the fruit of the karite tree is a valuable, nourishing addition to moisturizers for the reduction of wrinkles and to improve the elasticity of the skin and protect it against environmental aging.
Packaging
Each tinted lip balm comes in a duo of cardboard tubes - a black outer tube and a colored inner tube that actually holds the tube of lip balm.
Here’s a picture to explain what I mean:
Experience Using Product
I was expecting the normal Burt’s Bees lip balm texture when I applied this lip balm; imagine my surprise when I discovered how creamy and smoothly they applied. The balms are not waxy at all!
I was also surprised at the level of tint the balms provide. Here is a swatch of each shade I bought (top: Hibiscus; bottom: Honeysuckle):
The one thing that I wasn’t too impressed with is the staying power of this balm. Basically, there isn’t any. After the balm is on your lips for a little while, it starts to feel greasy. It also comes off very easily if you are drinking or eating. Expect to have to reapply this balm often.
Tinted lip balms in general are great for the days where you want your lips to have some color, but not the same intense color you would get from a lipstick. I wore the two Burt’s Bees tinted balms during the latter half of this work week when I couldn’t be bothered with lipstick.
Would I Re-Purchase, Recommend, or Reject
I would re-purchase this balm for one reason: it’s cheaper than the superior Tarte tinted lip balms (which I have a few of). If you can get your hands on them, I would advise you to buy the Tarte tinted balms over the Burt’s Bees ones. Tarte’s shade selection is much larger, and the pigmentation/texture/lasting power of their product is better overall.
You can find this lip balm wherever Burt’s Bees products are sold.
To learn more about this product, visit the Burt's Bees website.