REVIEW: NARS Eye Shadow Duo in Hula Hula



I have quite a large collection of NARS products, so I am going to be taking the time to review everything for you. If you are a NARS addict like I am, you'll know there are some hit-and-miss products in their line-up; by posting reviews about what I have, hopefully I can steer NARS newbies and those looking to invest in quality products away from some potentially not-so-great purchases (hint: this is one of those not-so-great products!)

Product Brand and Name, Price (CDN), Where Purchased

NARS Eye Shadow Duo in Hula Hula, $38.00 CDN @ Sephora.ca

Reason for Purchase

I looooove NARS eye shadows.

Notable Features

NARS eye shadows are pricey; I would strongly recommend that if you are interested in trying out a NARS eye shadow, you pick up a duo instead of a single. The singles are $26.00 each where the duos are $38.00 - that’s only $12.00 dollars price difference for two shades instead of one. It is definitely the better investment!

Packaging

This eye shadow duo comes in a black rubberized mirror-compact, with NARS written in skinny white font on the top. The packaging shows dirt/smudges/oil very easily and is hard to keep clean and looking hygienic.

Experience Using Product

When Hula Hula was released, I had high expectations for it. The colors looked gorgeous: a yellow gold, and a strawberry pink. What could be wrong with that?

One word for you: fallout.

Both of the colors in this duo are loaded with chunky glitter - not the smaller glitter we’re used to seeing from other companies like Urban Decay. It’s a shame, because aside from the glitter-bomb factor, the colors really are very pretty.

There is a way you can avoid the glitter fallout when you use these shadows: after you load your brush, tap it lightly and all of the glitter will fall off the bristles. However, this will result in you having to spend more time applying as you are also going to lose a bit of the shadow itself when you tap your brush.

When I wear this eye shadow duo, I typically use on color or the other. Most times I use the gold and contour/shade with the pink.

Would I Re-Purchase, Recommend, or Reject

I do not recommend this duo to you - unless (and this is a pretty big unless) you are looking for a set of glittery eyeshadows (with chunky glitter). If you are not, this duo is something you will have to fight with in order to get good results. Swatch it in a store before you buy if you’re not sure.

You can get this duo on the NARS website (unless you are Canadian) or from Sephora.